Girls Who Code Starting in White Center
The White Center Girls Who Code club now has an official start date: Thursday, January 15th, 2015! The club will meet weekly, Thursdays 3:15-5:15pm, at BCLS (605 SW 108th St, Seattle, WA 98146), in Classroom 1.
For more information on registration...
Safety Tips for Students Walking to School
We are reminding our scholars about safety tips for walking to and from school. We would appreciate your parental help by having a similar conversation at home. The walking safety advice includes:
GENERAL SAFETY TIPS
· Pay close attention to your surroundings, avoid "automatic pilot"
· Walk with a purpose; project an assertive, business-like image.
· Use common sense; plan your route to avoid uninhabited parks, parking lots, garages and alleyways.
· Stick to well-lit areas.
· Develop a plan before you see trouble. Crossing a street or entering a store may get you out of a potentially bad situation.
· If a car follows you or beckons you while you are walking, do not approach it. Instead, turn and quickly walk the opposite direction.
· Consider wearing clothing and shoes that you can move freely and quickly in, especially when walking or waiting for the bus.
· Carry minimal items; overloading yourself can make you appear vulnerable.
· Always plan your route and stay alert to your surroundings. Avoid shortcuts. Walk confidently. Scan your surroundings and make eye contact with people.
· Avoid walking alone at night. As much as possible, walk or travel with a friend, even during the daytime.
As always, thank you for your help and partnership!
Sincerely, Jeff Clark, Principal
Files & Resources
In 2011 and 2014, Stefanie Thomas, from the Seattle Police Department shared information on how to keep our students (and parents) safe while navigating the internet. Here are some resources on cyberbullying, social networking, and safety tips.
Assistant Principal Patricia Rangel led an excellent discussion at the PTSA meeting on helping our students thrive in Middle School - For some ideas check out this file.